Friday, July 6, 2012

All About Chris (quite boring really)

(Chris) I came to Belize for the first time when I was 19 and a member of HM Forces. It was June 1979. People always ask me "What Brought You To Belize?" and I always answer "A Hercules C130 Transport" because it's the truth. We actually stopped over in Gander, Newfoundland for 2 days. I had Cod Tongues, a local delicacy. They were really good except I felt bad for all those cod who now could no longer speak or taste anything.

 I'd never been to the tropics before and when I stepped off the C130 at Belize International Airport  I thought "This is great, I'm not cold anymore."

Later that year (still 1979, I hope you're paying attention) I went on a quick r&r trip to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and met a girl who I eventually persuaded to spend her life with me. We got married the following year. She's still married to me. So, all you young and pretty girls out there,   I'm 53 years old, 5ft 6 inches short, and fairly bald...as much of a catch as I must be I'm taken and you'll just have to settle for second best elsewhere.

Me, my long suffering wife Ciela and our daughter Gina who apparently is quite brainy because she graduated from North Wales University at about the same age as I was wondering "What on earth am I still in the Army for?"

Me and my wife by a river in England

When I left the army in December 1988 we came to Belize as quickly as I could hand in my army clothing and other military stuff. We've lived in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye ever since. OK, that's my first post on this blog. It's all downhill from here...I hope you'll stick around!

1 comment: